Saturday, June 16, 2018

The man I want to be


The man I want to be:
                The other day I was sitting at the SIU arena watching my youngest daughter playing basketball with the SIU Saluki girls’ team, and I was proud of her.  She was stepping out of her comfort zone, and I was witnessing her have her own little transformation, being the independent lady she wants to be.  As I was watching a little boy, 2 years old, walked up to my wife and put his little hand on her leg and looked up at her.  She spoke to him, and kindly looked over to his grandparents and gave them a reassuring smile as if to tell them it was okay, we got this.  Not long, he made his way around to me and stood in front of me and lifted his arms up as if saying, “I’m ready for you to pick me up now.”  I reached down and lifted him up on my lap, and again I looked over to give the grandparents reassurance that all was well, and that I got this.”  Just like a pro, like I had never missed a beat bouncing my daughters on my lap, I began the knee bounce, and he smiled at me.  I look back on that moment and think, “That is something my dad would have done in a second, with no thought.” Then I think, you know, I AM becoming the man I want to be.  I am becoming the loving, kind, caring soul that my dad showed me how to be.  It is hard to be proud of myself, but I had to pat myself on the back a little.  I am becoming the man I want to be, and I had a GREAT teacher and role model, I had my DAD.  I walk in the light of Jesus Christ, and there is something (no matter how small) to enjoy each day in a world filled with doubt, fear, and hatred.  Thank you God, for sending this little boy down the aisle to raise his arms up and show me that I am man enough to lift him up, and make him smile.  He will not remember me, or the short time we had with little laughs, but I will never forget the huge impact this little man made on me; much like the impact made by my Dad.  Happy Father’s day DAD, thank you for always taking time to reach down and pick me up.

1 comment:

Your comment will be reviewed, and allowed. Unless you are my psychotic, lying, sociopath ex-wife; then NO, your comment will not be posted.